How would the government know your involved in bigamy if no one reported it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Midvale, UT

My friend is married never lived with the guy he is away in Alaska they have no contact and haven't ever even lived together it was just easy for him to get more money in the military if he was married its been a while she thinks he may of files for devorice but doesn't really know and is about to get remarried if no one reported it and neither one of them even spoke each others name, would anyone in the government even detect it?

1. Peyton Hunley Robinson

Answered . There are several ways the government can find out (for example, cross-checking information filings such as tax returns), but typically for state prosecution purposes, it would be someone close to the situation reporting it to authorities. I had a friend prosecuted for it many years ago, and that is how it came to light.
    Your friend would be well-advised to get divorced and clear things up, or try and verify that he obtained a divorce. She can talk with an attorney of her choosing (my firm handles these types of matters) or go to the U of U clinic to get free help. See -- http://www.law.utah.edu/probono/free-legal-clin...

2. Philip Douglas Cave

Pro

1

Answered . See Mr. Robinsons answers.
    I have had several clients prosecuted for this. The point -- you can NEVER assume that someone won't report it. An upset "second" spouse for example, or the "other" spouse who now wants money.

3. William Emil Cassara

Pro

1

Answered . Agree with Mr. Cave. Never assume someone won't find out. That is like saying you can drive drunk as long as you drive real fast so nobody catches you. Very dangerous. I have had many clients charged under these circumstances.