How would my wife be affected by my current child support case?

Delray Beach, FL |

I am currently unemployeed my record is being sealed by october. My wife and I have an infant and she is the only provider in the household thus far. I am currently being charged for child support for my child from a previous relationship. I cannot provide such payments as yet. Where does my wife fall into this? She is afraid she will be stuck with the charge. How does my son get affected from this?

Your current wife does not have any obligation to pay your prior child support orders from another child. She is not going to be "stuck with the charge" but will feel the effect of it since she is married to you and it sounds like you have support arrearages accumulating from a prior relationship.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

This sounds like a basic home economics question. Obviously she will be affected to the degree that the child support would otherwise effect her if she subject

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Successor spouse may not be required to pay support owed by his or her spouse to former spouse, and thus, financial status of successor spouse is not ordinarily relevant to determination of amount of alimony which divorced spouse is capable of paying; however, such discovery may be had where party who is entitled to alimony demonstrates that party owing alimony had deliberately limited his or her income for purpose of avoiding or reducing alimony obligation, and is living off income of successor spouse in furtherance of scheme to avoid alimony obligation. See Montgomery v. Montgomery, 426 So.2d 1255 (Fla. 1st tDCA 1983).

The information provided on this website is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing.

Child support topics