How would I prove my relationship with my birth mother w/o a valid birth certificate if applying for a green card for her?

Asked over 1 year ago - Schaumburg, IL

I am a US citizen and would like to apply for a green card for my biological mother . I was adopted in my country and the original birth certificate that had her listed as my mother became void at the time of my adoption . How would I prove she is my mother when filing a I - 130 ? Thank you

1. Michael Hugh Carlin

7

Answered . I have a question for you: It appears that you first obtained permanent resident status in the United States, and then you became a US Citizen. Is that correct? If yes, then:

How did you obtain your permanent resident status? If you because a permanent resident through your adoptive parent, then you would not be eligible to petition your biological mother.

Someone else suggested DNA testing in order to establish your biological relationship. You need to know that you should not get a DNA test, unless and until USCIS requests the test. Otherwise, your DNA test might not be accepted by USCIS.

You need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney about your case.

2. Alena Shautsova

Pro

4

6

Answered . DNA test.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . DNA test . There plenty of places who do that

4. J Charles Ferrari

4

Answered . DNA test if no documents are available.

5. Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

1

Answered . I agree with Carlin.