Skip to main content

How would I prove my relationship with my birth mother w/o a valid birth certificate if applying for a green card for her?

Schaumburg, IL |

I am a US citizen and would like to apply for a green card for my biological mother . I was adopted in my country and the original birth certificate that had her listed as my mother became void at the time of my adoption . How would I prove she is my mother when filing a I - 130 ? Thank you

Attorney Answers 5


DNA test . There plenty of places who do that

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


DNA test if no documents are available.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


I have a question for you: It appears that you first obtained permanent resident status in the United States, and then you became a US Citizen. Is that correct? If yes, then:

How did you obtain your permanent resident status? If you because a permanent resident through your adoptive parent, then you would not be eligible to petition your biological mother.

Someone else suggested DNA testing in order to establish your biological relationship. You need to know that you should not get a DNA test, unless and until USCIS requests the test. Otherwise, your DNA test might not be accepted by USCIS.

You need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney about your case.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

7 lawyers agree


DNA test.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Mark as helpful

6 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


I agree with Carlin.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics