How would I know if the Attorney is busy or just doesn't want the case?

Harrisburg, PA |

I had a consultation over the phone with the attorney ; the attorney said they would take the case ; a retainer and fee was discussed ; and the attorney suggested I bring documents in person along with the retainer deposit . Since then , I have not gotten any response from the attorney . I sent an email , called and left a voicemail message . Am I expecting too much or have I been 'dumped' ?

The telephone consult was on a Thursday; a tentative plan to make the retainer deposit and provide documents for the case was expexted within the next week but the attorney has not been available to schedule a meeting to pay the retainer and/or provide documents. I've always believed attorney's expect payment 'now'...is that true? If not, is there a basic guideline (or time frame) to expect to pay a retainer and/or provide case documents or other items requested?

1. I guess it depends on the time between the consult and now. In any event I would suggest that you continue discussions with other lawyers.

2. The bottom line is you don't sound satisfied or comfortable with his "representation" and he hasn't even been retained yet. I suggest you keep searching and find an attorney that makes you more comfortable.

3. Retaining an attorney is similar to hiring a doctor. You need to trust and feel comfortable enough with the attorney you hire that you can rely on the attorney. Good luck.

The information provided in response to the question posted is not nor is intended to be legal advice. You should consult with and retain an attorney to review all of the facts of your situation. No attorney-client relationship is established through questions and responses on avvo.com