How would I go and get a certificate of rehabilitation in the state of California to be removed from the sex offenders reg.?

Asked over 1 year ago - Palmdale, CA

I reg. every year as a sex offender due to a charge of indecent liberties with a minor when I was 19 with a 16 year old. I am 32 now with 3 children, have not had any problems with the law in regards to the above situation and keep my noise clean. I have been told by the reg. officer that I can obtain a cert. of rehab. and this would take me off the 290 reg. list. The reg. officer only suggested it to be due to the continual upkeep of staying clean and reporting and not further legal history with law enforcement. She says I qualify to get it. An help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

8

1

Answered . Certificates of Rehabilitation petitions are complicated for sure. The County of San Diego put together an excellent package with all of the forms and instructions. I do NOT recommend that you try this for yourself using the packet for S.D. Co. But I strongly recommend that you read through the package. The statements of law and procedure in there are drafted in understandable language and the law is uniform for all of California. After you have read through S.D. Co's Manual, you will better know how much hope and $$$ you should plan to invest in this effort, if at all.
    http://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/...

This checklist is also sound and understandable: http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/boph/docs/restoration_of...

2. Greg Thomas Hill

5

2

Answered . For one to be granted a certificate of rehabilitation, one must start by filling out a Petition for Certificate of Rehabilitation and filing it with the California Supreme Court. The application will allow you to submit letters of recommendation and certificates of award, letters of appreciation, etc. The hearing is usually about four months after the petition is filed.

Getting such a certificate is not easy. You may qualify to apply, but that certainly is distinguishable from qualifying for a certificate.

3. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

5

Answered . You need to get an attorney and have it looked into. I'm working on certificates of rehabilitation and motions to "de-list" from the registry at present. It is a lot of work and you should expect to invest some money. It really depends on a lot of factors as to whether you are even eligible for relief AND only then it's likely discretionary. It's certainly worth it if you get it, but you might want to pay a smaller fee to an attorney to review your file and get a better handle on the relief available to you, then hire the attorney to actually do all the work. Sex offender registration law are brutal and harsh and only recently have they begun to ease a little with discretionary registration for some crimes. I'm can offer you a consultation, though many on this list may be competent to do this work.

4. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

5

Answered . Pursuant to Penal Code 290.5 you may qualify through a certificate of rehabilitation. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation so I suggest contacting a few to determine which one is best for you. Good luck.

www.Clearing-Criminal-Records.com
    (800) 409-7010

5. Michael Moshe Levin

4

Answered . Here is some info for you:

http://www.wegmanlevin.com/areasofpractice/expu...