How would I go about selling property in Oregon if it's still in My Grandmothers Name?

My Grandmother died in 1972 and my mother just died 12-26-2012, my mother has kept up on the taxes but never took it out of my Grandmothers name. My mother was an only child and all 3 of my brothers are dead. Is this going to be difficult to do? There was no will.

Oakhurst, CA -

Find Out More

Christopher N Schneider

Christopher N Schneider

Estate Planning Attorney - Walnut Creek, CA

First of all, I'm assuming that you grandmother and mother were residents of Oregon. This is a probate issue. Hopefully some Oregon attorneys will be able to give some advice. Due to the amount of time that has passed, the process is probably going to be complicated. If this were a strictly California issue, it would require two probate actions. The first to establish the disposition of you grandmother's estate and then a second to establish you mom's. It may be that the property ends up with you but it has to go through the legal process to get there. You are almost certainly going to need a good attorney to help you out.

Daniel Mcgraw Little

Daniel Mcgraw Little

Probate Attorney - Chula Vista, CA

Please make sure you receive advise from an attorney licensed to practice law in Oregon. There are different ways this may be handled but you truly need an Oregon attorney to respond.

Nancy Regan

Nancy Regan

Probate Attorney - Fair Oaks, CA

I agree that this situation will require two probates. I suggest that you consult the Martindale Hubbel directory of attorneys online and locate an attorney who specializes in probate and estate planning in the county where the property is located. Under California law you would be the sole heir of the property. I can't imagine that it would be different in Oregon.

Diane L Gruber

Diane L Gruber

Probate Attorney - West Linn, OR

Since the real property is in Oregon, we would need to do an Oregon probate for your grandmother. I have handled a very similar real estate transfer where a probate was never done when the owner died, relatives kept paying the property taxes for 25 years then tried to sell it, but no realtor would list it because they did not have legal title. Give me a call and we can discuss it. Diane