How would I go about releasing a loved one from a nursing home?

Asked about 2 years ago - Fairfield, CT

My wife was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2007-At the present time she's in an eldercare facility in Westport,CT-Here's the irony:She's 50 years old & has no business being there-She's being charged over $400 a day-For half that amount.she can get round the clock treatment at home-Her doctor says she's not getting any better-That's because she hasn't been on a specific MS treatment since early 2011-I'm thinking of hiring someone who's well versed in elder law & can help my wife get released.

1. Scott D Rosenberg

3

Answered . If your wife has retained her mental acuity, she has the right to check herself out whenever she likes, there is just some discharge paperwork to be signed. If she does not, and you have a power of attorney and are her healthcare representative, you are entitled to do this for her. If not, and the nursing home actively does not want her to be discharged on medical grounds, you should consult an elder law attorney with probate litigation experience to initiate conservatorship proceedings or a habeas corpus petition, both of which can be done through the local probate courts in this state.

On a side note, live-in care through any reputable agency in New Haven county runs $245 a day plus the aide's meals, and I can't imagine Fairfield is cheaper, so the economics might not be as far apart as you think. You can save money private hiring an aide, who is more likely to be able to drive, but then the onus is often on you to arrange malpractice insurance, payroll withholding, and alternate staff during breaks and vacations, which is why most still opt for the agency. Again, while your wife is not elderly, a local elder law attorney should be familiar with care options, their rates and limits, and the reputation of local providers.

Best of luck in getting your wife the quality of life she deserves.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . You are thinking correctly-get some help from an elder law attorney.
    I don't know why you can't sign some forms and take her home-she is not a prisoner.

3. Steven J. Fromm

2

Answered . Both attorney offer sound advice. Get with an elder law attorney immediately to explore your options.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is