Skip to main content

How would I get an alleged creditor to stop reporting inaccurate info to the credit reporting agencies?

Conyers, GA |

I currently have a pending federal complaint against this alleged creditor pursuant to FCRA and FDCPA under which injunctive relief is not available. Is there any further statute that I may add to accomplish this and get them to cease reporting false, negative and unverifiable information to the CRA's? Please advise. Thank you kindly!

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Have you disputed the debt with the credit reporting agencies yet?
    If so, the next step would be to sue.

  2. Follow the procedures to dispute the debt. Since you have a lawsuit with several claims on the credit reporting issue, presumably that is one of the things you asked for so tog et relief for those claims you'll need to win or settle the lawsuit.

  3. There is absolutely no reason for you to take a good FDCPA or FCRA case to Court without a lawyer. Experienced consumer rights counsel will take any good FDCPA or FCRA without any money out of your pocket, because these federal statutes provide for fee shifting (i.e., the defendant has to pay the plaintiff's lawyer).

    Don't delay. You have already filed a motion for relief that the Court will not grant you. Get an attorney as soon as possible.

    In answer to your question, experienced counsel know how to use the existing legal remedies to force the creditors or collectors to correct the inaccurate information "voluntarily."

    Skaar & Feagle, LLP maintains offices in Marietta (770 427 5600) and Decatur (404 373 1970), Georgia. The information ("the answer") provided above is for general information and educational purposes only. The answer should not be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Posting the question and reviewing the answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. My firm will ask you to sign a written contract prior to the commencement of representation in any attorney-client relationship. Please contact 770 427 5600 or 404 373 1970, if you wish to discuss your situation further. Skaar & Feagle, LLP accepts select consumer rights cases. These cases include, but are not limited to, cases of abusive and unlawful collection activity, debt defense, credit reporting of false or obsolete (old) information, high interest lenders (title pawns, payday loans), debt management plans, and fraud or unfair practices in the sale and financing of automobiles.

  4. I agree with the prior answers, the FCRA and FDCPA statutes are very complex and no one should represent themselves in federal court in my opinion. This should be a simple matter for an attorney to clear up for you in the existing litigation.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics