Skip to main content

How would I ger a pardon on my criminal record for a misdemeanor marijuana charge from 2007 and a first time dui charge of 2005

Augusta, GA |

I am a senior year college student and I'm worried that these charges on my criminal background will affect my job search. I made some stupid mistakes and caught the rap for a back crowd and I want to clean up my record to reflect me cleaning up my life. Will my mistakes in the past hurt my future. How can I make my record look a little better to potential employers

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


you are correct in acknowledging that these past incidents will be viewed by prospective employers and further you are correct in acknowledging that these past incidents could hamper you ability to land a job. As most employers nowadays, all things close to being the same, are going to hire a person that has no criminal history. You would have to file a petition for a pardon in order to try and have the marijuna charge pardoned. You would have to be five years past the expiration of your probation. It would be advisable for you to consider hiring an attorney to help you with this attempt. With regards,

P. Darrell Kimbrell

The information is provided for general purposes only and should not be relied upon. You are advised to consult with an attorney of your choosing, who can advise you on the particular facts and options in your case. No attorney-client relationship is intended or formed absent you executing a signed fee agreement. P. Darrell Kimbrell is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. Information provided is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice nor does such response create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.


Mr. Kimbrell's advise is very sound. I would add that you are not likely to get the DUI pardoned.

I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta, Statesboro and Savannah, Georgia. You may review more information about my practice by going to: The information I am providing you should only be considered for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it as a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not as legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have provided and new facts could substantially alter any answer or reply. My opinion should be understood to apply only to the laws of the State of Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation if you live outside of the State of Georgia.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer