How would I find out if money was left to me by a deceased relative?

Capitol Heights, MD |

The relative died a couple of years ago and I was not told until the money was distributed. The property was recently sold what can I do to find out if money was left for me?

1. If there was a will, it would have been probated. Go to the local probate court in the area in which the relative lived at the time of his or her death and take a look at the file. The Will will be in there.

Good luck to you.

2. Check the files of the surogate court, where the person dies proablity is if thwe firrst timew you were informed was the money was distributed, nothing was left to you. I am not aMaryland attorney, but most states requuire that those left money ina will, be notified when the will is submmitted for probate.

3. If the deceased relative left a Will, and it has been probated, you can go tot Register of Wills office in the Maryland County where the deceased person lived and died, and look at the Will itslef and at all documents filed with the Register Wills about this estate. You don't say how you are related to the deceased person, but are you so out-of relationship with the other heirsof the perosn who died, that you cannot call one of them and ask what is heappening?