How would I determine which liens or encumbrances would survive a tax deed sale

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I am planning on bidding on a tax deed sale in Palm Beach county. How can I find out if any liens or encumbrances will survive the sale and that I will be responsible for if I have the winning bid?
Thank you

1. Carol Anne Johnson

3

Answered . Generally speaking, the only liens that will "survive" are any municipal encumbrances (such as, code violations or utility assessments). Your county may allow you to pay a percentage of any outstanding liens they hold. The best thing to do is to look at the county records to see what liens, if any, currently encumber the property. Then, plan on doing a quiet title after the fact to remove any that still remain. I recommend hiring a local real property attorney to handle the quiet title action for you. They can also advise you as to the types of liens that have already been imposed. It is worth the minimal expense to have this done right, as the result can be a valuable asset that you can freely alienate.

2. Alicia Simone James

2

Answered . I agree with Attorney Johnson. Hiring an attorney to help determine the types of tax deeds will be worth it in the long run. A quick look at court house records will give you an idea before hand about the liens that exist. A good title company can also help.

3. Andrew F. Garofalo

2

Answered . This is the type of item you want an attorney to look at on a case by case basis, unless you are willing to roll the dice. Some municipal fines/liens accrue hundreds of dollars each day until a violation is corrected. Buyer beware.