How would a lawyer help by going to court on behalf of myself for a speeding ticket and what would the judge rule if case lost?

Asked about 2 years ago - Wichita, KS

speed was 12 mph over on sate hwy and officer only gave me the option to appear in court. Reason for speeding to get to the nearest rest area to buy water to take medication due to medical issue. Court to appear is about 2 hours from home. Got 1 speeding ticket in the last 6 years.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . An attorney may be able to negotiate a dismissal or an amendment to a nonmoving violation. He could certainly try the case, although this would require you to appear.

    Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, This answer is... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If you hire an attorney to handle your ticket it is likely that they can get the ticket taken care of without you appearing at all. Your likely options would be either a diversion or an amendment to a nonmoving violation so it won't affect your insurance. If you did choose to take the case to trial would would have to appear. Best of luck.

Related Topics

Traffic tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Speeding tickets

A speeding ticket is given for driving faster than the posted speed limit, including on roads with variable speed limits, which change with conditions.

Gregory Maurice Wagner

Speeding infractions

What to look for in defending you speeding infraction. Citation Look at citaion to see if officer has indicated what type of speed measuring device was use to determine the speed of the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,232 answers this week

3,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,232 answers this week

3,946 attorneys answering