How will the new immigration law ( march 4 ) affect my friend?

Asked about 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

my friend overstay her b2 visa and has 2 us citizen children in her care . She is divorced from her husband who is a green card holder. How would this new law affect her. She has bee her from 2007.... can she apply for residency after march 4.... will she have to return to her home country to obtain green card.? whats the process

Additional information

she has been in the us since 2007

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Mr. Capriotti is correct. Mr. Pineda overlooked the fact that your friend is divorced, so her ex-husband's naturalization will have no effect on her. Her children must be 21 years old before they can petition their mother.

    The provisional waiver program tends to help those who cannot adjust status in the U. S., because they have entered without inspection. Your friend entered with inspection, so if she were to fall in love, again, she can be petitioned by a U. S. Citizen and try to adjust status. There is no penalty fee involved and no waiver 'unless' she leaves the U. S.

    I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney, who can take the time to ask enough questions to provide reasonable legal advice. That way, she can make the best decision based upon her situation.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Unfortunately the new procedure (not a law) probably won't help her.

    She should meet with an immigration attorney for guidance.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The new procedure does not apply to her. Her husband should naturalize so that she does not have to go anywhere. Once her husband becomes a US citizen, she can apply for adjustment of status in the United States. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

    714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be... more
  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would be interested in when she got divorced and why because if she was emotionally or physicall abused or battered, she might be eligible for VAWA. But my friends are correct, this new law is only for people who came here illegally ( without a visa). This is why it's so important to see a lawyer- there are so many other options and laws that may be applied, if we knew more details. I am in Tampa and consultation is only $25. Emel Ersan, 813-449-4422.

    This is only a short advice- you should not file anything without getting the full facts from a lawyer.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

37,679 answers this week

3,929 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

37,679 answers this week

3,929 attorneys answering