How will my support to my husband change now that I carry family medical insurance?

Asked about 1 year ago - Minneapolis, MN

I pay child support to my ex-husband. He carried medical premiums for our 3 children at $0. He changed jobs and the premiums are now $245/paycheck. My employer premiums are $53.08/paycheck. How does this affect the support I pay him? Our PICS percentage is 70/30 (me/him).

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Maury Devereau Beaulier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You child support order would have to be reviewed. It should not affect basic support. However, your ex could be required to contribute to the cost of health insurance for the child based on proportionate share of combined income.

    Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement... more
  2. Julie M Pawluk

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I cannot tell you how the dollar amount will change, but you should definitely run a new child support calculator to see how the numbers change. If your ex will voluntarily agree to paying you his pro rata share of this cost, you should enter into a Stipulation to Amend Judgment and Decree. If he won't, then you will have to bring a motion to amend.

  3. Drake Daigoro Metzger


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If your you PICS percentage is 70%, unless otherwise noted in your divorce decree, you are responsible for 70% of the medical premiums.

    I suggest speaking with a lawyer to evaluate your child support obligation in light of this change in medical premiums.

    -Drake Metzger
    Metzger Law Firm, LLC

    Nothing in this response constitutes legal advice. Metzger Law Firm, LLC does not represent you nor has Metzger... more
  4. Tricia Dwyer

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Hello. You should have an attorney review your child support obligation at this time. Child support is quite complicated. At times, there are valid reasons to request that child support be set at a sum greater, or lower, than the Minnesota state Guidelines. Your attorney will guide you and advise you. All the best.

    Child Support Law, Family Law

Related Topics

Child support

Child support is a payment made from one parent to another parent (usually from non-custodial to custodial), to help ensure the child's financial needs are met.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,441 answers this week

2,227 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,441 answers this week

2,227 attorneys answering