Skip to main content

How will i be notified if i have to show up to court if i filed domestic violence

Bakersfield, CA |

i filed domestic violence against my boyfriend

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You'll get a subpoena listing the time and date and place to show up. The subpoena will have the name and phone number of the DA on it so you can call with questions.

    Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. If you filed for a restraining order then a Temporary Restraining Order was likely issued the same day. The Order should have a date to return for the hearing on a permanent order (usually 10 days later).

    The above answer is not "legal advice" as specified under any pertinent rules governing the Professional Responsibilities of Lawyers and should not be relied upon. An attorney-client relationship has not been established by virtue of this correspondence. Legal issues are often complex and involve local laws and facts which may not be effectively communicated without a complete consultation.

  3. The City attorney or district attorney will supboena you to appear. Call them before you go because criminal dates often get continued and/or they won't need you. Don't waste your time, call the DA before you appear.

    Edward J. Blum

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics