Skip to main content

How will green card application if I get married? Is it better for me to continue my application through my fiancé?

Colorado Springs, CO |

I'm currently under H1B and waiting for my priority date to become current (july 2010; country: Philippines) before I can apply for my green card?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Is your fiancee a US citizen? If so, yes that will be faster.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. If your fiancée is a US citizen, that would be the fastest way to get a green card.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. If you get your green card by marrying a US citizen and it has not been 2 years on the date of determination of application, you will get a conditional green card valid for 2 years and you will apply to remove condition before it expires. Employment-based green cards are permanent green cards. One takes longer to get than the other. It is advisable therefore to consult with an experienced immigration attorney so you are aware of your options and seek benefits via process that suits you best.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

  4. If fiancé is a US citizen that would be faster

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  5. I agree with my colleagues.

  6. Yes it will be faster.

  7. If your fiance is a U.S. citizen, then that would be the fastest and probably easiest way to apply for your green card.

    Please be aware that this response does not constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am licensed to practice in Colorado, Arizona and Utah only. Unless I indicate otherwise, my answer is based on general legal principles, and not necessarily the laws of your state or the particular facts of your situation. If you would like to discuss the potential for establishing an attorney-client relationship, please feel free to contact me so that we can discuss the particulars of your circumstances, and our firm's requirements for engaging our services.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics