How will divorce affect my immigration status

Asked almost 2 years ago - North Augusta, SC

married less than 1 year, permanent residency not completed, wife basically abandoned me,I want to work marriage out,

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I am sorry that yor marriage did not work out and that you were not married long enough, you need to make sure that you have proof this was a bonafide marriage so if you marry again you will not be accused of fraud. Be careful and take good care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. Deborah Lynne Karapetian

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you divorce now, you will most likely not be able to get your residency based on that marriage. So try to document it now -ie don't throw things away - so you can prove it later on.

  3. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . If you have not yet received permanent resident status, then the divorce will only effect how CIS views future marriages from which you attempt to obtain an immigration benefit. If CIS believes this marriage was fraudulent (and solely for an immigration benefit) then they will more fully investigate future marriages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,376 answers this week

3,082 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,376 answers this week

3,082 attorneys answering