How will disorderly conduct charge affect future employment and will it show up on my record?

Asked about 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

In December during college, I was issued an appearance ticket on a charge of disorderly conduct for public urination in Binghamton, New York. When I arrived, I plead guilty. I had a clean record before this happened, so my main concern is how this will affect my employment prospects as I am set to graduate soon. When I asked the judge if this will have a negative effect, she said that it was a "non-fingerprintable offense," but I'm not too sure what that means. She entered in a conditional discharge for my case, so I want to know what will happen after the one year period, considering this was a non-fingerprintable offense? I've been stressing out over this dumb mistake that I made and I need to know if it will affect the rest of my career. Thanks for any information.

1. Virginia Giselle Alvarez

2

Best Answer

Answered . The key is how the question is asked. If they ask of you have ever been arrested you will have to answer yes but when it asks what the disposition was it is non criminal. It is most likely if you lie they would never find out because of what was explained by my colleague. The charge is as serious as a simple traffic ticket not a crime but a violation.

2. Benjamin J Lieberman

2

1

Answered . Disorderly conduct is a violation amd not a crime. Non fingerprintable offense means that you weren't fingerprinted and you do t have a rap sheet as a result of the incident. This means no criminal record. Don't sweat it, it really won affect employment.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

1

Answered . You did not plead to a crime so you don't have a criminal record and the records themselves will seal after the one year conditional discharge period is up. Once sealed, nothing should show up on a background search except for a jobs in law enforcement, which are exempt from the sealing statute.