How will a class A or B misdemeanor affect my child's fathers custody?

Asked 9 months ago - Longview, TX

My baby's father has a class A & B misdemeanor for DWI in the state of Texas. He will still be on probation when she is born, I feel as if she will not be safe with him due to this incident and from things I've seen myself. How will this affect his custody?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Derek Anthony Patrin


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If custody has already been established previously, a DWI offense will likely not have a significant effect on the custody situation. If you had an attorney for the custody situation previously, you should contact that attorney to get a better handle on the situation. There are many factors that affect custody decisions and you need someone to take a look at the entire situation to give you a better idea of the possibilities. Use this website to find an experienced family law attorney in your area if you didn't previously have an attorney for this matter.

  2. Deepali Meenu Walters

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is a family law question.

  3. Michael J. Crawford


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It won't, unless, it is a family violence assault or criminal trespass which could restrict your spouse.

    This answer does not create an attorney client relationship. You should hire an attorney for legal representation.

  4. Ethan Patrick Meaney


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm going to change your practice area to family law, maybe you will get more responses from lawyers in this field. Good luck.

    This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,710 answers this week

2,774 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary