How will a change of residential address affect my green card renewal?

Atlanta, GA |

I'm separated, moved out of the house and going through divorce, I have not signed the papers yet but I need to renew my green card within a month. Will using a different address affect my application process?

1. Is this an I751 petition or an I-90 green card renewal after ten years?

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. The mere changing of your address, alone, should not affect the renewal of your green card, however, you want to ensure that USCIS delivers the card to the correct address. Contact USCIS customer service or your local immigration attorney for further assistance.

3. Not really, it will not by itself. If filing for the replacement of your green card, your divorce or having moved will not matter at all. If filing for the removal of conditions on your temporary green card, you will be self petitioning anyway by invoking one of the various exceptions that exist to the I-71's joint filing requirement. I hope you will be hiring this killed immigration lawyer in your area.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.