How/where can I find a Medical Malpractice lawyer for a case against a Dentist in Rensselaer County Jail?

Wappingers Falls, NY |

My husband is serving 8 months in Rensselaer County jail, in Troy N.Y., He was warned about the Dentist in this facility the "Dentist" has been referred to as the "Butcher" by other inmates and correctional officers , but approximately 2 months ago My Husband could no longer endure the pain from a tooth that needed to be pulled. Being in a county jail He (my husband) had no other choice but to see This Dentist within Rensselaer County Jail. During This procedure(which I am being told should have been performed by a oral surgeon, not a dentist) he cut into his(my husbands) mouth in an attempt to remove a large shard of bone that was lodged into his mouth causing extreme pain, first attempt at removal of the bone resulted in 7 stitches, which in turn produced a severe infection, his(my husbands) mouth looked as if he had a golf ball inside, which had to be drained, resulting in now 12 stitches and still severely infected. So for the past 2 months he has been in severe pain, cant eat anything unless it is liquid, being denied proper medical attention. My husbands immune system is not the healthiest due to having COPD, He is 5' 10" and aprox 145lbs, He is at a point where he can no longer afford to loose anymore weight due to this pain and infection further compromising his health since this infection seems to be getting progressively worse. Giving the amount of time this is going on, And the denial of proper medical care Myself and our children are very concerned for his health & safety at this Facility We are frantically searching for any help in this matter before something drastic happens ~please help

He has filed Grievance's, but to no avail. It's as if they were never received. They have him on a Diet consisting of only Broth. We can not seem to find a Lawyer willing to take a case involving a county facility (what gives with that??) We are worried that he will come home with severe disfigurement , due to the infection basically destroying his Jaw, or worse DYING due to the infection that is not even being tested for type, is it staph or MRSA nobody knows? we are in the process of having him sign HIPAA medical release forms, to get a better grasp on the situation . thank you for any help in this matter.

You need to retain a civil rights attorney in your area. Malpractice claims for inmates for improper medical care are usually filed as 1983 actions under the Civil Rights Act. It sounds like he may have a valid claim, so I would contact someone on his behalf to look into a civil rights claim.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, still no luck as of yet finding an attorney willing to file a "1983 actions under the Civil Rights Act" But We will not stop looking, thank you

You are right to be concerned. Keep trying to consult with civil rights/dental malpractice attorneys.

The one Law office in my area that handles "Civil Rights Law" does not do so for inmates

Have a local civil rights lawyer investigate.

Try AVVO find a lawyer tab.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

Contact the local county Bar Association for a referral. I would also call the American Civil Liberties Union(ACLU). Since this is a County facility, you may want to writ to your elected officials as well as the County Supervisor. While there may not be a whole lot of concern for the healthcare provided to inmates, the law requires people such as your husband to reasonable and ethical medical care- which he has clearly been deprived of!

Mitchell Jan Birzon

Mitchell Jan Birzon

You may also file a complaint(even better if you and your husband file separate complaints) against the dentist alleging perceived malpractice. File with the NYS Office of Professional Discipline.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury