How/what is needed to be done to get a deferred judgement/sentence?

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

I am 19 and have recently been caught shoplifting makeup at Walmart. I have a court date set up for March, but I will not be in town by then. I will be moving to Wisconsin in two weeks for an internship that is needed for school. Also, I will be going home to Florida for a week as well. This is my first offense. I would really really appreciate any help I can get with the situation. I do not want this on my record if I can avoid it. Do I need to be in Colorado if I do receive the deferred judgement? How would I go about requesting this opportunity?

1. Vincent J Felletter Jr.

4

2

Answered . A deferred judgement is certainly preferred over a conviction. It gives you the chance, if you complete it successfully, to later have the guilty plea withdrawn and the case against you dismissed. You would not have a conviction and you may later be able to have the record sealed. It can only be given if the prosecutor agrees to it. It is usually achieved through plea bargaining with the prosecutor. It would help if you had a lawyer negotiating for you, as the prosecutor may not otherwise offer it, and you are not automatically entitled to one. A lawyer could also file a motion to appear for you in court at some or all of your proceedings, and save you having to travel back from out of state. You may also be able to have any supervision of your sentence transferred out of state. You can call me at 970-985-1064 or 970-263-8888 if you have any other questions

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . Your best chance of someone getting this resolved for you and having a chance at a deferred judgment is to shop around Denver for criminal defense attorneys. Most of us offer free consultations and I recommend Mr. Buckley and Mr. Lubchencho

3. Lori A Beck

1

Answered . If you are not going to be in Colorado for your court date, I strongly suggest you hire counsel to be there for you. If you do not appear, a warrant will issue for your arrest. A deferred is like probation with a chance to have the case dismissed if you are successful in completing the necessary conditions. It is a possibility that you can qualify for he Interstate Compact agreement, which would allow you to do your sentence in another state.