How to write a written response when being sued

Asked about 2 years ago - Santa Clarita, CA

i have 30 days to write a written response back to the court house. i was wondering what i have to write in there? do i have to write my side of the story.. this is for a car accident.. does anyone know the form to write it in or what i need to write this response. someone please help

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

8

Answered . If you have the possibility of insurance coverage, it is imperative that you tender the defense of the unlimited jurisdiction lawsuit to your insurance carrier immediately. Under California law, the insurance company must either defend and indemnify you, or tell you in writing why there is no insurance coverage or that the carrier is defending you under a reservation of rights.

In the event there is no insurance coverage AND you absolutely cannot afford an attorney to defend you, you can represent yourself "in pro per". You would file either an Answer or a General Denial, and pay the first appearance filing fee.

The form for the Answer is (Judicial Council Form PLD-C-010):

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/pldc010.pdf

The form for the General Denial is (Judicial Council Form PLD-050):

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/pld050.pdf

If you cannot afford the first appearance filing fee, you may apply for a fee waiver. See:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-lowcosthelp.h...

2. Sean Anthony Brady

6

Answered . Go speak with an attorney. If it was for a car accident, insurance may pay for your lawyer. Even if it doesn't, you should speak with an attorney about your case and your options. Most offer free consultation. Don't just try to write a response by yourself. An attorney can at least point you in the right direction, though ideally you would have one represent you through the entire matter. Good luck.

Michel & Associates, PC
    (562) 216-4444

3. Catherine Elizabeth Bennett

5

Answered . My colleagues are correct that you should tender this matter to your auto insurance company immediately. Take a copy to your insurance agent.

If you end up having to do this yourself, keep in mind that you must answer within 30 days of being served. Go to the closest law library and the librarian can show you books and other materials to help you answer the complaint.

The bottom line is, no, you don't tell your side of the story. You need to answer the complaint by admitting or denying (usually a general denial to all claims) and assert your affirmative defenses.

4. Marilynn Mika Spencer

5

Answered . You are severely disadvantaged without an attorney. Just because the law allows people to represent themselves in court does not mean it's a good idea. People are allowed to treat their own upset stomachs, but in serious cases, they have to go to a doctor.

Mr. Chen has provided good information if you absolutely must represent yourself. Another thing to do is go to your county law library and ask the reference librarian to direct you to form books for personal injury law.