How to transfer the investment real estate ownership from LLC to members personally and avoid or minimize the costs and taxes?

Asked about 1 year ago - Huntington Station, NY

My wife and I own a 2-member LLC that owns a real estate property used for rental income. We'd like to cease using it as a rental, renovate and move in. There is no loan or mortgage associated with it. How can we transfer the ownership from the LLC to ourselves to keep the costs and taxes on the minimum, and what would be the tax consequence, if any? Would there be any other undesirable consequences?

1. Daniel Boyd Waters

7

Answered . You should really seek the services of an accountant and/or a tax attorney. It sounds like you want to liquidate and dissolve the business. This activity can have tax consequences, but it is very fact specific.

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues - this question should be directed to your CPA.

3. John P Corrigan

1

Best Answer

Answered . The technical issue is the adjusted cost basis you take in the property upon distribution to you on a dissolution of the LLC. Your tax basis in the home will be a function of what your basis was in your membership interest which gets swapped essentially for the home. Your CPA will need to do the calculations of the transferred basis you will have in giving up the llC interest in exchange for the property itself.

4. Cheryl Rivera Smith

3

Answered . You really need the help of a CPA with this one. There are many other factors to consider.

5. Robert V Cornish Jr.

1

Answered . In addition to a CPA, you should also contact a good trusts/estates attorney to ascertain what trust structures might be appropriate for your situation.