How to terminate sublease

Asked over 1 year ago - Norfolk, VA

I am the lessor of the rental property and I am subleasing. My roommates are unhealthy (littering the house with dirty dishes and clothes and food). Not only am I tired of being a maid, but I see thier frivolous spending getting out of control and I'm worried I wont recieve my next rent or utility check. All of the furniture in the house belongs to me and they are destroying it, along with my dishes and bedroom set. If the house is not being kept up to par, as the sublease says "good condition", is there anything I can do legally to try and evict them? Or am I stuck until the end of the lease?

1. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

1

Answered . First of all, you may be in violation of your own lease if you are subleasing. Many leases prohibit subleasing and/or prohibit subleasing without the consent of the landlord. That being said, are your subleases written or oral? If you have a written lease with your subtenants, absent a breach or a failure to pay rent, you cannot unilaterally terminate the lease for no reason. If you don't have written leases and your subtenants are periodic tenants, then you can provide written notice to terminate the tenancy (in most states to terminate a month to month to month tenancy, you need a minimum of 30 days).