Skip to main content

How to take care of Bench Warrant from 6 years ago in another state.

Mount Clemens, MI |

6 years ago, in Florida I got a ticket for an MIP, I was drunk but not drinking when the police officer seen me. I had moved out of the area and couldnt make the court date, which I got changed, I was never mailed a new date, because I once again moved and did not know I was supposed to contact the court. Found out I had a bench warrant when I moved back to MI and was pulled over for speeding, the cop had just laughed it off. Now I am planning on taking a cruise in May to Belize and Mexico. I know I would be able to leave and get it taking care of the only thing is I can not just pick up and leave to FL for this I have two full time jobs. Any advice on how to take care of this would be great.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Contact a criminal defense attorney in the city/area in FL where the bench warrant was issued. An attorney can locate the case and redocket it, make a motion to set aside/recall the warrant and resolve the case. Maybe without you being present. Get an attorney now.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


You will likely have to travel to Florida to remove the default and deal with the case. It may be worth contacting a local FL attorney to get their opinion on how to proceed and the likelihood of your being able to resolve the case quickly. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


You will need to hire a Florida attorney in the area of the infraction, clear the warrant and take care of the charge. It will be up to the court there as to whether or not you will be compelled to appear.
Do not delay, things will not get better if you delay, these things always bite you when least convienent
I can coordinate all of this from my offices if you desire.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .


The police officer probably laughed because MIP is such a minor charge (no pun intended). Having said this, mole hills turn into mountains if you don't attend to them. I agree with my colleagues--get a criminal defense attorney in Florida to contact the court and take care of this. Many upstanding citizens (many of them attorneys) have MIPs in their past. Take care of this so it will be in YOUR past, rather than a potential bomb ready to go off at the least opportune moment. Best wishes to you.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer