How to take care of Bench Warrant from 6 years ago in another state.

Asked over 1 year ago - Mount Clemens, MI

6 years ago, in Florida I got a ticket for an MIP, I was drunk but not drinking when the police officer seen me. I had moved out of the area and couldnt make the court date, which I got changed, I was never mailed a new date, because I once again moved and did not know I was supposed to contact the court. Found out I had a bench warrant when I moved back to MI and was pulled over for speeding, the cop had just laughed it off. Now I am planning on taking a cruise in May to Belize and Mexico. I know I would be able to leave and get it taking care of the only thing is I can not just pick up and leave to FL for this I have two full time jobs. Any advice on how to take care of this would be great.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

2

8

Answered . You will likely have to travel to Florida to remove the default and deal with the case. It may be worth contacting a local FL attorney to get their opinion on how to proceed and the likelihood of your being able to resolve the case quickly. Good luck.

2. John F. Brennan

3

Answered . You will need to hire a Florida attorney in the area of the infraction, clear the warrant and take care of the charge. It will be up to the court there as to whether or not you will be compelled to appear.
    Do not delay, things will not get better if you delay, these things always bite you when least convienent
    I can coordinate all of this from my offices if you desire.

3. Patricia A. Reiser

2

Answered . The police officer probably laughed because MIP is such a minor charge (no pun intended). Having said this, mole hills turn into mountains if you don't attend to them. I agree with my colleagues--get a criminal defense attorney in Florida to contact the court and take care of this. Many upstanding citizens (many of them attorneys) have MIPs in their past. Take care of this so it will be in YOUR past, rather than a potential bomb ready to go off at the least opportune moment. Best wishes to you.

4. Frank Mascagni III

3

Answered . Contact a criminal defense attorney in the city/area in FL where the bench warrant was issued. An attorney can locate the case and redocket it, make a motion to set aside/recall the warrant and resolve the case. Maybe without you being present. Get an attorney now.