How to sue a towing company in Maryland?

Asked about 1 year ago - Silver Spring, MD

My car was regularly parked in a shopping center parking lot while I was shopping in one of its stores. When I left the car was gone and towed away. I had to pay about $150 plus time plus they scratched my car. I want to sue for damages and punitive damages as well since the towing was clearly illegal. After some internet research I found out that the towing company, Henry's wrecking service, has an horrible reputation, an F BBB degree, and many people complain of similar situations. May I sue in the district court? Should this be the district court where the car was towed (the company address is in VA but they clearly have many locations also in MD and they do business there). I want to do this myself as I think it would more expensive to hire a lawyer than what I would get.

1. Jeffrey P Nesson

1

Answered . District court would seem to be appropriate. Jurisdiction where the car was towed is also appropriate although VA may also and not prepared to opine whether one would be better.

This is not to be considered legal advise and no attorney client has been established.
  2. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

Answered . Who identified your vehicle as worthy of being towed? When you sue the towing company, be sure to place some John Doe 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc., defendants so that you can do some discovery and find out who else is responsible for the towing, and then you can substitute into your lawsuit the identities of anyone else involved in this matter. This is not going to be fun, but it will be educational. And if you like being educated in law, then perhaps it will be fun, win or lose.