Skip to main content

How to stop someone from harassing me via text message?

Melbourne, FL |

I have been receiving harassing text messages from someone that I once considered a friend. The most recent text that I received included a personal threat. This person is bi-polar and has other mental health issues. What can I do to stop these messages? Please help!!

Attorney Answers 3


If you feel threatened you can contact the police and file for a restraining order. The first thing I'd recommend is changing your number.

Best wishes, Stephanie (813) 667-0434 Ms. Bolton is licensed to practice law in Florida. She practices in the areas of construction and insurance. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Ms. Bolton strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


If you seriously feel threatened, contact law enforcement. You could also try to get an injunction against the person, which is commonly referred to as a restraining order. However, it's unlikely a judge would grant it given the scenario you described.

Legal disclaimer: The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices.

Mark as helpful


Try changing your number and call the police if it continues. You may want to consult with a local attorney so he or she can give you a complete legal analysis of your situation.

JMP Law, P.A.
Juna M. Pulayya

Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about my qualifications and experience. Transmission of the information in this web site is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics