Skip to main content

How to sign certificate of naturalization?

Arlington Heights, IL |
Filed under: US citizenship

My oath ceremony for naturalization is in a few days. I have a question about how to sign the certificate of naturalization that I should get after the oath. I heard that you are supposed to sign your full name completely and legibly without any abbreviations. My usual signature (on my driver's license, credit cards, and current non-US passport etc) is a kind of illegible scrawl using my initials. Which signature should go on the naturalization certificate? If the full/complete name, then subsequent to naturalization do I have to keep signing that way too? e.g. when applying for a US passport, do I use my current signature or the full/complete signature?

(Comment after oath) On the certificate, they have printed my (usual) signature next to my photograph. The officer at the oath instructed me that I need to sign the certificate in the same way, and that for security reasons it was important that the two signatures should match. So I have signed the certificate that way.

Attorney Answers 4


You have to sign you name legibly. Use that signature in all immigration related paperwork if any

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Sign with the name on the certificate.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


sign full name - usually someone is there to tell you how they want you to sign. Congratulations on naturalization.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Have to sign the full name as listed on the certificate, in the same format and in legible fashion.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics