How to sell my property? Currently on Chapter 13 bankruptcy with HOA and child support liens on property

Asked 12 months ago - San Francisco, CA

I want to sell my condo to pay off my debts, I'm currently on Chapter 13 and I have 2 liens on my property (HOA and child support which are both included in the chapter 13). What is the best way for me to do this to have a smooth sale process. Will I be able to get an approval from the court (ahead of time) so that the chapter 13 and liens do not delay the sale?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Michael Avanesian

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You would have to do a 363 sales motion. The problem is the Trustee may want 11% of whatever you sell the house for! Check with the Trustee and your attorney to see if dismissal is a better option.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in S. California, you may call my firm for a consultation 818-507-... more
  2. Christine B. Adams


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In Illinois you need court approval prior to selling your property, I am almost sure that is the same in California-cause will all pretty much follow the same laws. The first thing you do is call your attorney and he or she will instruct you on the best course of action to ensure a smooth sale.

  3. Shaye Larkin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In the San Francisco Division (where I practice) if it is post confirmation, you only need the trustee's permission to sell the property. Pre-confirmation you would need to file a motion for court approval. Although it sounds like you are post-confirmation, there may be other matters in your case, however, that will require court approval, such as paying off the plan early. Talk to your attorney about the next steps you need to take.

    The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having... more
  4. Brent J Jensen

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The best way is to talk with your attorney. I have done a number of these and there is always a lot of information you need to provide the Court and the trustee to get these approved. See your attorney.

    This is not legal advice and I am not your attorney until you retain my office. Always consult with an attorney in... more

Related Topics

Child support

Child support is a payment made from one parent to another parent (usually from non-custodial to custodial), to help ensure the child's financial needs are met.


Bankruptcy is a legal way for people or businesses who are no longer capable of paying back their bills to clear these debts and start over.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,238 answers this week

2,590 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,238 answers this week

2,590 attorneys answering