How to revoke a power of attorney in New York City?

Bronx, NY |

The person granted the power of attorney is defaulting in the payment of my credit cards.

I agree with Ms. Brown's answer, but would add that you also need to advise in writing the successor agents in the POA, even if the successor is remaining the same. Also, I would send the notice certified so that you have a receipt for it. The written statement needs to witnessed in proper form.

The principal may revoke the power of attorney in accordance with the terms of the document by delivering a written, signed and dated revocation to the agent and to any third party that the principal reasonably believes has received, retained or acted upon the power of attorney. If you have any doubts about how to handle this, you should contact a local attorney for assistance. You can call my office if you wish (718-878-6886) Good luck!

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Ms. Brown’s response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, please contact an attorney in your state. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to contact her directly for a legal consultation, you may do so by calling 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com

In the light of a full moon, the person who granted the power of attorney must go to the center of Times Square, then, as the Jumbotron clock displays 00:00, rip up the power of attorney before the clock displays 00:01, while proclaiming, "I revoke thee!"

There are other methods, but this one is my favorite.

Question: How did it come to pass that the person who named you as his/her attorney in fact is responsible for your (?) credit card(s) debt? These are deep waters that require further explanation!

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

You forgot the part about the salt...

I agree with Ms. Brown and Ms. Siegel that principal may revoke the power of attorney in accordance with the terms of the document by delivering a written, signed and dated revocation to the agent and to any third party that the principal reasonably believes has received, retained or acted upon the power of attorney by certified mailed.

THIS ARTICLE IS PURELY INFORMATIONAL AND CAN NOT BE RELIED UPON AS LEGAL ADVISE OR CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVISE FROM THE AUTHOR. To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS under Circular 230, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments), unless otherwise specifically stated, was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (1) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any matters addressed herein.

Wills and estates topics