How to revoke a power of attorney in New York City?

Asked about 3 years ago - Bronx, NY

The person granted the power of attorney is defaulting in the payment of my credit cards.

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

2

5

Answered . The principal may revoke the power of attorney in accordance with the terms of the document by delivering a written, signed and dated revocation to the agent and to any third party that the principal reasonably believes has received, retained or acted upon the power of attorney. If you have any doubts about how to handle this, you should contact a local attorney for assistance. You can call my office if you wish (718-878-6886) Good luck!

2. Sharon Melissa Siegel

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with Ms. Brown's answer, but would add that you also need to advise in writing the successor agents in the POA, even if the successor is remaining the same. Also, I would send the notice certified so that you have a receipt for it. The written statement needs to witnessed in proper form.

3. Louis P Lepore

Pro

Answered . I agree with Ms. Brown and Ms. Siegel that principal may revoke the power of attorney in accordance with the terms of the document by delivering a written, signed and dated revocation to the agent and to any third party that the principal reasonably believes has received, retained or acted upon the power of attorney by certified mailed.

4. David L. Carrier

Pro

Answered . In the light of a full moon, the person who granted the power of attorney must go to the center of Times Square, then, as the Jumbotron clock displays 00:00, rip up the power of attorney before the clock displays 00:01, while proclaiming, "I revoke thee!"

There are other methods, but this one is my favorite.

Question: How did it come to pass that the person who named you as his/her attorney in fact is responsible for your (?) credit card(s) debt? These are deep waters that require further explanation!