How to research a Doctors backround for medical malpractice in NY?

New York, NY |

I am in need of surgery in New York. I want to choose a surgeon in good standings and would like to see their history of complaints or malpractice complaints, if any.

How can I do this online?

You can get some info here:

http://www.nydoctorprofile.com/welcome.jsp

However, it is not comlete as not all medical malpractiec settlements are reported.

You can also try the Office of Court Administration web site and see of the doctors have been parties to lawsuits.

http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/FCASMain

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Thanks. I found one settlement listed for a surgeon I am looking into. Criteria was after 3 settlements within the last 10 years, they list them on their. Is one settlement listing something to be of concern? Everything else was clean. The Dr works for a very reputable clinic.

Gregory Scott Gennarelli

Gregory Scott Gennarelli

it may or may not be of concern. However, the typical insurance policy requires the doctors consent to settle the case. There may be many reasons why a case is settled. you may want to find out the names of the cases that settled or went to verdict, which is what I do in my practice. in the event the case has to go to trial, transcripts and testimony from the prior cases can prove very useful. good luck.

Joseph Jonathan Brophy

Joseph Jonathan Brophy

It is tough to obtain information on all the suits and settlements a doc has had. Doctor profiles is incomplete and the courts website is very hard to search. My paralegal does searches by going to individual counties and searching year by year under the name of the doc in question. We find that a large proportion of the docs we sue are frequent fliers, so to speak. One case in 10 years is not a lot.

Do an online search, visit the ny dr profile website, search OPD or OPMC, do a verdict search or on westlaw or lexis if you have access, subscribe to Angie's list, get a recommendation from your physician, there are numerous ways to explore and help make an informed decision, good luck.

Office of court admin.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Go to e-law.com endless research with the doctor's name to see if they have been sued. Remember, just because someone has been sued in a particular case does not necessarily mean that the injured victim will be able to prove their case.

All it means is that someone has been sued. This website will not tell you whether case resulted in settlement and if so for how much.

However, if the doctor has been sued 25 times within the past few years, you will get a sense that something is going on. On the other hand, an absence of lawsuits does not mean that this is the right position for you either. You still need to do more research.

Another alternative would be to contact the hospital where the doctor works and speak to some of the nurses who work in the operating room, if they are willing to get on the phone and talk to you.

You can research it in line through elaw. That will show you how many times he or she has been a defendant in a lawsuit. Also there are in line services that you can subscribe to that will cost a little but will give you the doctors background and disciplinary record.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury