How to research a Doctors backround for medical malpractice in NY?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I am in need of surgery in New York. I want to choose a surgeon in good standings and would like to see their history of complaints or malpractice complaints, if any.

How can I do this online?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

9

1

Best Answer

Answered . You can get some info here:

http://www.nydoctorprofile.com/welcome.jsp

However, it is not comlete as not all medical malpractiec settlements are reported.

You can also try the Office of Court Administration web site and see of the doctors have been parties to lawsuits.

http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/FCASMain

2. Garret Patrick Rooney

7

Answered . Do an online search, visit the ny dr profile website, search OPD or OPMC, do a verdict search or on westlaw or lexis if you have access, subscribe to Angie's list, get a recommendation from your physician, there are numerous ways to explore and help make an informed decision, good luck.

Pro

6

Answered . Office of court admin.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. Gerald Michael Oginski

4

Answered . Go to e-law.com endless research with the doctor's name to see if they have been sued. Remember, just because someone has been sued in a particular case does not necessarily mean that the injured victim will be able to prove their case.

All it means is that someone has been sued. This website will not tell you whether case resulted in settlement and if so for how much.

However, if the doctor has been sued 25 times within the past few years, you will get a sense that something is going on. On the other hand, an absence of lawsuits does not mean that this is the right position for you either. You still need to do more research.

Another alternative would be to contact the hospital where the doctor works and speak to some of the nurses who work in the operating room, if they are willing to get on the phone and talk to you.

5. Joseph Gerard Dell

Pro

1

Answered . You can research it in line through elaw. That will show you how many times he or she has been a defendant in a lawsuit. Also there are in line services that you can subscribe to that will cost a little but will give you the doctors background and disciplinary record.