How to renew a work permit? When can we travel? Is it normal not to hear a lot back fro immigration? How long until he is a citz

Asked 9 months ago - Houston, TX

My husband and I have been married for 2 years. We have already started the citizenship process. He was never in the states illegally he was here with his mother that has a working visa and is an ESOL teacher. He has a work permit but its about to expire. He has also received his green card. He has 2 former drug charges (possession of marijuana) misdemeanors that he received when he was 17 and 19 they both were deferred adjudications. Would he have the risk of not getting let back into the country if we traveled abroad? Does he need a pardon from a judge?

1. J. David Swaim Jr.

Pro

Answered . It is unbelievable that you do not have an attorney for this case, or if you do, that you have not asked him or her. I am surprised he has not been arrested already.

2. Mana Yegani

Answered . If your husband leaves the country he will be found inadmissible upon return. Even though he got a deferred adjudication on the criminal case it does effect his immigration status. This is a very sensitive matter and I would definitely consult with an immigration lawyer who knows both criminal law and immigration law to get the best advice. I would not leave the country without speaking to a lawyer.

3. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

Answered . With so many and such varied questions each requiring detailed replies, your best option is to directly contact an immigration attorney for a personal consultation since this site is only designed for very general, free guidance.

4. Racheal P. Fuller

Answered . Please note that once someone obtains a green card, they no longer need a work permit. The green card itself gives the holder legal authorization to work in the U.S. That being said, there are other issues present in your case. You need to seek legal counsel before you and your husband travel outside the U.S.