Skip to main content

How to remove shoplifting charge from my record?

Plymouth, MN |

hi some years ago i went to the mall with my baby and while shopping i saw a nice little hat that i liked for my baby so i tried it on on her but forgot to remove it so i just kept on shopping and then went to check out and forgot about the cap. so i was charged with shoplifting now this is affecting my record is there anyway to remove this from my background ? please help

Attorney Answers 3


It depends on how the case was resolved. If it was resolved without a guilty plea and without a conviction (such as a "Continuance for Dismissal without a plea"), and the charge was ultimately dismissed, then you should be able to get an effective, statutory expungement under Minnesota Statutes Chapter 609A. See links below for more.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree and will add that if you did enter a guilty plea, the challenges of getting a worthwhile expungement certainly increase. However, it may not be a hopeless cause depending on your circumstances. It is best to consult with an attorney individually for tailored advice. You could try to pursue an expungement alone, but I do not recommend it since the process can be tricky.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with my colleagues. The main issue is how your case was resolved. If you never entered a guilty plea, then you have the right to seal the records. However, even if you entered a plea of guilty, you still might have an opportunity to seal all of the records. There is a case currently under review which may have an impact on the expungement/sealing process. I would encourage you to seek good legal advice regarding your options.

Mark as helpful

Shoplifting topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics