How to remove or seal class A misdemeanor in Texas

Midland, TX |

5yrs ago I was charged with failure to identify fugitive, I was advised by my state appointed attorney to plea no contest and pay the fine. Now I cannot even get a job due to this charge on my background. I was told that since I did not take deferred adjudification that I cannot have it sealed. What other options do I have?

Your only options are this point are to 1) file a writ to challenge the plea. When you plead you give up the right to appeal, but you still may be able to file a writ. 2) File for a pardon, but Rick Perry doesn't grant very many, he hates people, especially criminal defendants.

To discuss your writ option contact some local post conviction criminal defense lawyers.

Robert Guest is a Kaufman County Criminal Defense Lawyer with offices is Forney, Texas and Rockwall, Texas. My use of Avvo is not intended to form an attorney-client relationship. Avvo is a limited forum and should never be used as a replacement for a consultation with a local lawyer. My answers are not legal advice. You really need a consultation with a local attorney.

Unfortunately, a writ (appeal) is the only likely option you have. The governor is not likely to pardon you for this offense. This misdemeanor conviction will be on your record forever unless you are pardoned or win the appeal.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.