Skip to main content

How to remove a father name off of Birth certificate?

Worcester, MA |

how to remove a father name off of Birth certificate?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I think you should try reposting your question with more information.

The short answer is that you can't remove a parent's name from a birth certificate. There may be circumstances where the father can petition to be adjudicated not to be the father, but this may not work if he has acted in a way that is consistent with being the child's father.

If you have another parent who is ready and willing to assume parental responsibility to the child, you and your co-parent can bring a co-parent adoption. That process would terminate the rights of the child's biological father and establish them in the new co-parent.

Good luck!

Christopher Vaughn-Martel is a Massachusetts lawyer with the firm of Vaughn-Martel Law in Boston, Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law and the limited facts presented by the questioner. All answers are provided to the general public for educational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question. To schedule a consultation with a lawyer, and obtain advice and review of your specific legal issue, please call us today at 617-357-4898 or visit us at


My colleague is correct that you cannot just remove a father's name from the birth certificate. This can only be accomplished in two very specific ways. If the Father does not want this to happen you will have a very hard time doing so. The courts think that having two parents is always in the child's best interest, so if there is no one else to assume responsibility for the child's care then it is unlikely, you will be able to remove the father's name from the birth certificate because it is the same thing as terminating parental rights.



henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer