How to reinstate when (divorcing) spouse did not pay Health Insurance??

Asked over 4 years ago - Boulder, CO

My husband & I separated 7/22. Went to standard Colorado divorce/separation meeting, 8/26. Came out he stopped his (& MY) health insurance benefits through his job (June?) - he took "temporary medical leave" or "temporarily laid off", Administaff/United Health Care will release information only to him as primary.
Court ordered he remedy/reinstate my insurance as I wasn’t informed of non-payment. Prior we agreed he'd keep me on his plan until divorce final 12/7. I agreed to reimburse cost to him.
Revisited court 9/3, no insurance reinstatement answers from him. Court again ordered he fix this & email me data re: my status. I take 2 meds daily refilled end of month very cost prohibitive. Do I have any options?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Suzanne Griffiths

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . If your husband failed to comply with the Court's order you may file a motion with the Court for Contempt of a Court Order. If you have a valid order requiring him to reinstate or remedy your coverage regarding health insurance and he fails to do so, then he has violated a Court order. You can request that he be imprisoned until he remedies the breach. If he cannot reinstate the insurance you could request that he pays all your medical expenses that would have been covered had he complied. You could also request that he pay the costs of alternate health insurance if you are able to obtain another health insurance plan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,179 answers this week

2,797 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,179 answers this week

2,797 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary