How to recover property of deceased family member

Las Vegas, NV |

My father passed away 2 days ago. He was widower. He did not have anything of value except wedding ring and his car which is fully paid and in his name (I have title in possession). Car value is approx 5k. Car is registered in CA, he recently moved to NV and that is where he died and car is located. He had a will. It states ring goes to one son & other possessions to be evenly distributed between his 3 children. His gf at time of death refuses to turn over possession of keys to vehicle and denies having ring. I am worried about her illegally selling/destroying either before able to transfer title. Is there anyway to protect/remove car? Can we file theft charges? Is there something we can do about ring prevent from being sold if pawned

She shouldn't be able to sell the car without the tittle. You may want to contact the police to assist in obtaining the keys to the car if you have the title in your possession. You may have difficulty getting the ring without knowing exactly where it is. Did your father have any bank accounts? If he had a joint account with his girlfriend it would automatically pass to her. If the account was in his name only you may be able to complete a small estate affidavit to transfer it and still avoid probate.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Florida Attorney practicing in areas of Estate Planning, Elder Law, Trusts, Probate, Guardianship, and Business Law. The information provided is for educational purposes and not intended to provide legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship. Please contact me at or call my office should you like to discuss your Florida legal matter further. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates