How to recover property of deceased family member

Asked over 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

My father passed away 2 days ago. He was widower. He did not have anything of value except wedding ring and his car which is fully paid and in his name (I have title in possession). Car value is approx 5k. Car is registered in CA, he recently moved to NV and that is where he died and car is located. He had a will. It states ring goes to one son & other possessions to be evenly distributed between his 3 children. His gf at time of death refuses to turn over possession of keys to vehicle and denies having ring. I am worried about her illegally selling/destroying either before able to transfer title. Is there anyway to protect/remove car? Can we file theft charges? Is there something we can do about ring prevent from being sold if pawned

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . She shouldn't be able to sell the car without the tittle. You may want to contact the police to assist in obtaining the keys to the car if you have the title in your possession. You may have difficulty getting the ring without knowing exactly where it is. Did your father have any bank accounts? If he had a joint account with his girlfriend it would automatically pass to her. If the account was in his name only you may be able to complete a small estate affidavit to transfer it and still avoid probate.

    This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an... more

Related Topics

Inheritance rights and estate planning

Inheritance rights refers to the rights most states give to a spouse (and in some cases, children or grandchildren) that prevent you from disinheriting them.


A will is a document outlining your final wishes for your estate. In order to ensure your will is valid and your wishes honored, you must follow certain rules.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Will Signing

Will Signing Instructions Power of Attorney, Living Will and Notary duties Rev 12/7/13 INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNING WILLS When you hear the front door open, look in the Calendar... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,285 answers this week

3,699 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,285 answers this week

3,699 attorneys answering