How to read an unemployment claim form? The claim balance and the claim expiration date don't match.

Corona, CA |

My weekly unemployment benefits are $ 200.00 and my claim expires at the end of October. My remaining claim balance is only $ 1800.00 ( the amount on the latest stub ) which will be exhausted by June .Could you explain how should I understand it ?

An unemployment insurance claim is valid for one (1) year from the date you initially filed. However, you may only collect up to 26 weeks of benefits (since the federal extensions were not renewed). The discrepancy in time is in case you fail to file claim forms timely and your claim needs to be reopened in the 1 year time frame.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering attorney is licensed to practice law solely in the State of California. Furthermore this electronic communication may be considered Advertisement under California State Bar Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 1-400.

There is probably a very simple answer, better left to the Employment Development Department. Please contact the EDD through their online system, ASK EDD. Be as specific as you were here in your query. They can probably solve the mystery. Good luck to you.

Lesly J. Adams has been licensed to practice law in California since 2010. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult with your own attorney.