Skip to main content

How to put my baby's father's name on her birth certificate?

Venice, FL |

my boyfriend and i have a baby ( she is 13 months now), when she was born in the hospital we aplied for her birth certificate, and at the time i was still married to another man, so we were told not to put my boyfriend's name in my daughter's birth certificate. so she has a certificate that says "mother refused to give father's name". i'm getting a divorce and we want to put my boyfriend's name on my daughter's BC, what should we do? and should we wait till the divorce is final?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You and the child's father may fill out form DH-432 "Acknowledgement of Paternity." Both parents must fill out the form and sign it in the presence of two witnesses or a notary public. You will then mail the completed form to the Florida Office of Vital Statistics. I have linked below to both the form and the instructions from the Office of Vital Statistics.

I cannot comment on whether you should wait until after your divorce from your husband is finalized to do this because you have given no information about the circumstances of any disputes between you and your husband.

Best of luck!

PLEASE NOTE: These comments are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Actual legal advice can be obtained only after consultation by an attorney licensed in your state. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer