How to put a lien on a house or bank account.

Millville, NJ |

I lent money to friend when he was a buying house, now he wont give it back, whats my options. I do have a copy of the check that was written.

If you cannot get the other party to settle or execute a document evidencing the debt, then you need to file suit. If you prevail, then you can proceed to enforce the judgment. There are many ways to enforce a money judgment including wage garnishment, levy of bank or investment accounts, and attaching a lien on real property.
You should consult with a debt collection or litigation attorney in your area.

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POSTING IS FOR GENERAL INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE. THE FURNISHING OF THIS INFORMATION DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. AN ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP REQUIRES THE FURNISHING, REVIEW, AND SIGNING OF A RETAINER AGREEMENT.

A creditor must first obtain a judgment in order to attach a bank account or impress a lien upon real property.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

You have a claim at present, and the option to file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations runs, to obtain a judgment, and then you can seek collection of the judgment.
The assistance of a collection attorney is advised.
Good luck

General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is required to determine specific legal advice as to your situation and applicable law. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.

As other counsel pointed out, you cannot just get a lien on the house. You would have to file a lawsuit at the County Court and get a judgment. Once you have a judgment you can have it recorded as a lien against property by registering it down in Trenton.
I hope that helps. If you have any questions feel free to contact my office.

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only, not legal advice.

Fist and foremost, when did you lend the money to your friend. I strongly suggest you seek the advice of an attorney, as there are time limitations within which you can file a lawsuit seeking recovery of the amount you loaned. Also, if you a mortgage was not executed in connection with this transaction, it does not appear that you will automatically have a lien on your friend's property. However, if you obtain a judgment, there are steps that you can take to place a judgment lien on the real property. Again, you should discuss these options with an attorney.

THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND SNELLINGS LAW LLC. Please note that no attorney-client relationship is created with the firm absent an EXPRESS WRITTEN AGREEMENT between the firm and the client.