Skip to main content

How to prove to USCIS that you never been outside the US since you came here?

Miami, FL |

I came to study in here on F-1 visa a few years ago , but overstayed , and now I am married to a USC and I am filing to adjust my status , my friend has been through this, and he was asked by the IO at the interview to prove that you didn't leave the country !! now this is really confusing ,How to leave and come back when your visa is expired ? How to answer questions like that ?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Not true, and if it were, you probably have a ATM, checking account, credit cards, etc.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  2. Please stop listening to people's weird stories. One does not have to "prove" that one has not left since his last arrival. Your word (and the information you fill out on the Forms) will be enough.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. You were inspected and admitted and thus you can adjust status. See link

  4. Various records from doctors to bank to school to utility.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics