Skip to main content

How to prove someone's income if self employed?

Milwaukee, WI |

Ex was court ordered to my x amount for child support. He did not show up for hearing nor pay the court order amount to date. It's been a year. Child support is finding him in contempt & at last court hearing he stated that he wanted the child support modified to a lessor amount because he didn't earn the income that was configured when the child support order was set a year ago. He is self employed & supposely left the papers at home to prove his income. Another court date was set.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You may institute discovery (questions in writing and requests for documentation) to seek proof of what is being shown to the court. If you do not want to learn the process by studying up on the rules of court and the procedures to follow (which you certainly have a right to do) then you should consider retaining a lawyer to assist.


It is his burden to disprove the amount that was set by the court and prove why he can't make that amount. The child support agency can get his tax returns and bank records to help determine his true income.

In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer