Skip to main content

How to prove physical presence and continuous residency for citizenship application ?

Washington, DC |

I am a green card holder and haven't had a real job for a couple of years, worked as baby sitter and cleaning people houses. I don't pay tax because I make small amount of money and I stay with a friend.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


credit card bills?
doctor visits?
dentist visits?
etc, etc.

Talk to an attorney to get more suggestions.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


You're concerned with proving you've spent at least 2 1/2 years in the US and haven't been out of the US for more than 6 months at a time? Is that it?

Your passport stamps should show that you haven't left the US extensively if that's the case. As for the tax issue, the USCIS officer will likely ask you how you support yourself. Be prepared to answer that. You might want to get an attorney to help.


You could also obtain affidavits from people you know. And even if you don't have to have to pay taxes you can file tax returns showing you gave worked.

Maria J. Marty Attorney at Law | | Office: 206.494.9999 McAuliff Law Firm | 14205 SE 36th St., Suite 100 | Bellevue, WA 98006 Skype ID: mjmarty-mcauliff This is general information and not legal advice. For a more complete assessment of your situation, please contact our office. Our practice is limited to U.S. Immigration Law. We represent Organizations, International Investors, Professionals and Families.


It's not clear that you can. You haven't described your travels outside the U.S. so we don't know if you've maintained your residency or not.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer