Skip to main content

How to prove continuous residency for naturalization

Richmond, VA |

I am a permanent resident and I have been living at my uncle's place since I came to USA. I am not working. I have been an online student for the last 10 months. Recently,I have known that I have to present documents to prove residency. But its been 2.5 years I have been staying here but I don't have any lease paper or something. What can I do to prove my continuous residency here?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Obtain a sworn declaration under penalty of perjury from your uncle attesting to your having lived in his house for the entire period in question. In addition, for each month in question, find various receipts, bill payments, etc. and etc. which will tend to prove your physical presence in the US for the last 2.5 years.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Affidavits from your uncle and aunt, pastor at your church and others who know you, utility bills, phone bills, bank records. You may wish to hire an attorney to help.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


They are looking for absences abroad, otherwise you are good.


I don't see any issue here, as you're primarily required to specify (and explain) the total number of days you spent outside of the United States (including military service) during the last five years.


I agree with the suggestions of the types of documentation the other attorneys have suggested. In addition to those, if you are attending school, even online, you would still have invoices and other dated correspondence (tuition bills, receipts for textbooks and other school supplies) that would have your name and address on them, which would show that are residing in the US. I recommend you speak with an experienced immigration attorney.

My answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Further, you must consult with an experienced immigration attorney before taking or refraining from taking any action.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer