How to protect yourself against bad lawyer?

Asked over 2 years ago - Port Saint Lucie, FL

It's been 10 month since I hired probate lawyer and don't have result.

Additional information

My husband passed away last year. He had several bank accounts without beneficiary.
I hired probate lawyer 10 month ago.
I gave her bank accounts information and I don't have any results yet.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric J Trabin

    Contributor Level 19


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You need to speak with your lawyer and find out what the status of the case is, why it is taking so long, and when you can expect it to be completed. If you don't receive a satisfactory response, or any response at all, then you can hire a new lawyer to take over. Any fee dispute you have with the lawyer you have can be submitted to the Florida Bar fee arbitration program.

    This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.
  2. Elizabeth S Conan

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Attorney-client communications are an essential part of the relationship, and you should not be going for ten months without some information about the progress of your case. Contact your attorney to schedule an appointment or telephone conference to talk about your concerns regarding the case progress and the attorney's lack of communication.

    You should also take into account that litigation does take time to resolve, months and sometimes years, so it may be that nothing has happened with your case during the past ten months, However, you should still contact the attorney to find out if that's the case, and if you remain dissatisfied with the attorney's responsiveness, I agree with Mr. Trabin that you should consider hiring another attorney to handle your matter.

    Any information provided by attorney Conan does not establish an attorney-client relationship with any individual... more
  3. Marc Edward Stewart

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Make an appointment and ask these questions of your attorney. There may be good reasons for the delay. No one on avvo will know your file better than your own legal counsel.

Related Topics

Legal malpractice and negligence

Legal malpractice is when an attorney harms a client through unreasonable errors, and harm would not have occurred "but for" the errors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,751 answers this week

3,034 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,751 answers this week

3,034 attorneys answering