How to prepare for pre-trial / settlement conference?

in debt collection case

1. Please keep in my that I am an Ohio Attorney. Also note that you gave no details of your case. With that in mind I offer some suggestions.

1. What do want? Be prepared. Make a list. Generally, you will have 2 sets of requests. One, would be a list of information and documents that you need from your opponent in order to consider settlement. Two, would be what you want to happen financially. Do you really think the other side should take nothing and dismiss their case? Be prepared to say why. Are you prepared to make an offer in some amount? If not, why?

2. Call the Court and ask if there is a form that the Court wants to filled out and file before the pretrial.

3. Be prepared for the judge to set a trial date. Have some idea how long it will take to get the necessary information and witnesses ready. How long will it take for you to prepare for trial? Good luck.

This answer is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and may not be relied upon as legal advice. A careful examination of the facts is necessary before a legal answer may be relied on. You should consult your own attorney before taking or refraining from any legal action.

2. It depends. If you have the time, you should consult with local counsel for assistance.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. 

3. Many courts will have a document they prepare and give to attorneys at the Case Management Conference regarding how the court will proceed to trial, and those documents will often talk about trial preparation issues. Find out if your courtroom has a document like that.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.