Skip to main content

How to prepare for child custody and visitation mediation?

Luray, VA |

I have 2 kids. A girl 3 and boy 9months. My ex and I are not married. He is an alcoholic and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in the past and not on medication. I do not want him to keep the kids alone. I don't trust him to take care of them. He also has a criminal record and is a felon. I just want to know how I can make sure my kids are safe but still can see him?

Attorney Answers 3


You guys need a custody and visitation order pronto. You can put in provisions that he to not have the children if he isn't sober and can require that visitation be supervised until he gets himself clean and/or compliant with medication.
Contact a local attorney for more information. You can also file petitions for custody and visitation on your own at your local Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court clerk's office.

Avvo and the answers contained herein are to be considered general info and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed by answering your question. Everyone's situation is different and for a proper answer contact an attorney of your choosing. Most of us are very nice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Jimison's answer but would add that you really should have an attorney prepare any agreement or order that you may come up with. While you can file the necessary petitions on your own, I would NOT recommend proceeding without an attorney.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Your best preparation will be to contact a local attorney. All of the facts you mentioned will be relevant in determining the appropriate child custody and visitation arrangement.

Good luck.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

Anneshia Miller Grant
Garrett Law Group, PLC
(757) 422-0195 - 24 Hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics