Skip to main content

How to organize divorce papers and what to send?

Knoxville, TN |

I did my divorce papers online thru (divorce writer) because can't afford lawyer they sent me (civil case cover,complaint for absolute divorce,temporary restraining order,spouse's personal information form,martial dissolution agreement, notice regarding insurance coverage,motion to set case for hearing,order to set,final decree) several copy of each form, I currently live in VA and my wife lives in TN, she already signed her parts and now it's my turn. I'm going to my bank to get them notarized but I don't know the steps after that, what I need to mail first and how to organize the papers, Please give me the next steps
Thank you for your help

Attorney Answers 1


To get a divorce, you must notify your spouse by filing a Complaint for divorce. She may waive service and further notice, but must do so in writing. Once you have filed the Complaint in Circuit Court, then schedule a hearing with the judge's secretary for a final divorce. You must bring a witness with you and have either your spouse's waiver of notice or you must serve your spouse with notice of the hearing and your intent to request a final divorce.

I really recommend that you at least spend the money to sit down with an attorney to review paperwork and this process.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics